This is a great recipe from www.purealaskasalmon.com using canned salmon. Quick and easy and really healthy. The Pure Alaska Salmon website has lots of other recipes using canned salmon, plus nutritional information, and info on fishing practices.
Shirley and Jim Zuanich own the company and are good friends of mine. Jim is a life-long commercial fisherman and Shirley runs the company, selling their canned salmon to stores all over the country, including Whole Foods. Shirley is an awesome friend to have because she knows firsthand how bloody difficult it is raising kids with a fishing husband. Two seems impossible to me sometimes, but she did it with three kids and survived!
So this a Zuanich family recipe that originally called for shrimp, but canned salmon can be substituted beautifully.
Irma Beulah’s Salmon Coleslaw
- 4 cups green cabbage, chopped fine, not grated
- 1 – 7.5 oz can Redhead or Thinkpink, canned wild salmon, chunked
- 1 green pepper, chopped fine
- 4 green onions, chopped fine including green part
- 1/2 can of black olives sliced
- 6 sliced radishes, if desired
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 TBSP white vinegar
- 2 tsp white sugar
Mix and toss into salad, chill and serve.